The Department fosters a strong interaction with industry through their Industrial Research Chairs. Industrially oriented research is combined with fundamental studies to advance understanding of the microstructure mechanisms and resulting properties.
The department offers opportunities for study in the fields of casting and solidification of metals, ceramic processes and properties, corrosion, composite material processing and properties, hydrometallurgy and electrorefining, physical metallurgy, pyrometallurgy, remelting processes, thermomechanical processing and environmental processing.
What makes the Materials Engineering program offered by University of British Columbia unique?
Many of the Department’s laboratories and offices for graduate students are located in the Advanced Materials and Process Engineering Laboratory (AMPEL) – an interdisciplinary facility on campus that brings together materials researchers from Physics, Chemistry, Materials, Electrical and Mechanical Engineering. Having a common home for materials research has promoted cross-disciplinary projects and provides graduate students with an interdisciplinary environment that offers unique opportunities in their training program to become graduates who will be in high demand worldwide for employment in academia and industry.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The academic courses which must be taken for credit by each candidate will be determined in consultation with his/her Research Supervisor, and with the approval of the Department Head.
- All candidates must must present a research seminar to satisfy the requirements of the course.
- Upon admission, M.A.Sc. and M.Sc. candidates will be offered Research Assistantship appointments for a maximum of 2 years, subject to satisfactory progress by the student.
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
Application open dates and deadlines for an upcoming intake have not yet been configured in the admissions system.
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 41 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in Canada
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- All applicants have to submit transcripts from all past post-secondary study. Document submission requirements depend on whether your institution of study is within Canada or outside of Canada.
- A minimum of three references are required for application to graduate programs at UBC. References should be requested from individuals who are prepared to provide a report on your academic ability and qualifications.
- Many programs require a statement of interest, sometimes called a "statement of intent", "description of research interests" or something similar.
- Permanent Residents of Canada must provide a clear photocopy of both sides of the Permanent Resident card.
International8952 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8952 CAD per year during 18 months.
National5095 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5095 CAD per year during 18 months.
Living costs for Vancouver
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.