Solid skills in quantitative and computational modelling are now required for many of the most interesting and rewarding high-end jobs in banks, technology companies, industry and government. These skills are also crucial for progress in academic research in increasingly many fields.
University of Waterloo's Centre for Computational Mathematics offers undergraduate and masters degrees in Computational Mathematics that precisely teach those key quantitative and computational modelling skills.
What is Computational Mathematics?
- Mathematical models and methods arise in a wide variety of fields, including business and finance, data science, engineering, science, machine learning, and medicine.
- The application of mathematics-inspired computational methods and models has revolutionized these fields and is one of the most significant achievements of the computer age and the data age.
- Computational Mathematics at the University of Waterloo is an innovative, multidisciplinary program whose focus lies in the intersection of mathematics, statistics and computer science.
- Students in the program are exposed to a range of theme areas within the discipline and learn an area of application.
- Graduates of the program will be able to deploy effectively a wide range of mathematical, statistical and computational techniques to solve large problems in science, industry, big data and commerce; to develop, enhance and maintain the relevant software tools; and to communicate results of complex methods and models to end-users.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Computer Sciences Machine Learning View 34 other Masters in Machine Learning in Canada
- An overall 78% average or its equivalent for undergraduate work.
- A 4-year honours bachelor's degree or its equivalent with specialization in some area of the mathematical, statistical and computer sciences. Note: graduates of other quantitative and mathematically oriented programs are also encouraged to apply; this includes, but is not restricted to, graduates of commerce, economics, engineering, finance, and any of the physical sciences. The department graduate committee will determine the suitability of each student’s background for success in this program.
- Three references, normally from academic sources
- Proof of English language proficiency, if applicable. TOEFL 90 (writing 25, speaking 25), IELTS 7.0 (writing 6.5, speaking 6.5)
International15392 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7696 AUD per semester during 24 months.
National4508 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2254 AUD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Waterloo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.