The MSc in Statistical Science offered at the University of Oxford will aim to train you to solve real-world statistical problems. When completing the course you should be able to choose an appropriate statistical method to solve a given problem of data analysis, implement the analysis on a computer and communicate your results clearly and succinctly.
The MSc offers a broad high-level training in applied and computational statistics, statistical machine learning, and the fundamental principles of statistical inference. Training is delivered through mathematically demanding lectures and problems classes, hands-on practical sessions in the computer laboratory, report writing and dissertation supervision. You will have around three months to work on your dissertation with guidance from your supervisor.
The allocation of graduate supervision for this course is the responsibility of the Department of Statistics and it is not always possible to accommodate the preferences of incoming graduate students to work with a particular member of staff. Under exceptional circumstances, a supervisor may be found outside the Department of Statistics.
Graduates of the MSc find employment in financial, economic, governmental, scientific and industrial areas. The MSc can also be a useful stepping stone for doctoral studies, with around a third of students on the course taking this route.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Applied Statistics
- Foundations of Statistical Inference
- Statistical Programming
- Computational Statistics
- Statistical Machine Learning
- Bayes Methods
- Stochastic Models in Mathematical Genetics
- Probability and Statistics for Network Analysis
- Algorithmic Foundations of Learning
- Advanced Topics in Statistical Machine Learning
- Advanced Simulation Methods
- Actuarial Science
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesStatistics View 103 other Masters in Statistics in United Kingdom
- a first-class or strong upper second-class undergraduate degree with honours in a degree course with advanced mathematical and statistical content.
- However, entrance to the course is very competitive and most successful applicants have a first-class degree or the equivalent.
- For applicants with a degree from the USA, the minimum GPA sought is 3.6 out of 4.0.
International26405 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 26405 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA11605 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 11605 GBP per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.