- a deep insight into managerial and financial accounting, controlling, capital market communication and auditing, business taxation and tax planning, and other accounting-related topics.
- an analytical approach that allows you to gather a deep understanding of respective theories, accounting standards, and tax laws.
- a strong focus on application of controlling concepts, accounting and audit standards, as well as tax law.
- a high degree of individuality and flexibility that helps you in realising your potential during your studies.
- a strong specialisation in accounting and taxation topics without an obligation to take other courses.
We offer a broad range of topics across and within our accounting department. Therefore, you will be able to either gain a broad knowledge of different accounting-related fields or dig deep into specific fields such as controlling, financial accounting or tax management.
You can combine courses in accounting and taxation with additional courses from related departments like finance, corporate law and tax law. Typical combinations are controlling and finance, financial accounting and taxation, or business taxation and special courses in tax law. A unique feature of this programme is the opportunity to take a large number of courses offered by the Faculty of Law at the University of Cologne, which is not available anywhere else in Germany.
Skills acquired in the M.Sc. Accounting and Taxation programme prepare you for future line and staff positions with respect to a broad set of accounting and tax related tasks. Potential employers range from start-ups to large, global corporations and consulting, audit and tax-advisory firms.
You will leave the University of Cologne successfully prepared for a career in companies, consulting, audit or tax-advisory firms – within enterprises or as certified public accountant or tax advisor.
Exemplary job opportunities include
- Controlling and Management
- Financial Manager
- Management Consultant
- Certified Public Accountant („Wirtschaftsprüfer“)
- Certified Tax Advisor (“Steuerberater“)
- Trainee Programmes
- Academic Research
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Within this programme, the core and advanced sections cover the methodological basics of your respective major in Accounting and Taxation.
- The specialisation section teaches major-specific basics and, in addition, advanced skills within the same area with the business project as the practical highlight of the whole programme.
- Take a semester abroad or specialise in the Supplementary Section. If you choose a semester abroad, we will be happy to advise you on the options available to you and give you organisational support before, during and after your inter- national experience.
- With the master’s thesis for the successful completion of your studies, you underline the knowledge and skills you have acquired throughout the programme and are ready to continue your career as an expert in your field.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBusiness Administration Accounting Taxation View 155 other Masters in Business Administration in Germany
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Cologne and/or in Germany, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Application in the case of unfinished Bachelor studies: In cases where present Bachelor studies have not been fully completed, application is permitted if the candidate has earned at least 80% of the required credits and will have achieved the remaining results by 30 September at the latest. The specific admission criteria governing the designated course of study (including the overall grade) must already have been fulfilled on the basis of the exam results available at the time of application.
- at least 78 ECTS in the fields of Business Administration and Economics
- at least 15 ECTS in the fields of Statistics and/or Mathematics
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
The University of Cologne does not charge any tuition fees.
Each semester, all enrolled students of the University of Cologne have to pay a social fee.
Living costs for Köln
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.