The Master of Welding Engineering (Sint-Katelijne-Waver) will prepare the student to carry out a wide range of vital duties within the field, learning many of the foundational skills to research, design, produce, maintain, and asses quality welding.
This advanced masterprogramme is the ideal stepping-stone to a high-level job within the industry and enables the student to solve problems and work efficiently and safely.
The programme is indispensable and obligatory for engineers seeking to work as Responsible Welding Coordinators. Engineers interested in R&D, quality, design, production, maintenance and particularly welding metallurgy will find the programme instructive and comprehensive.
4 clusters in the programme:
- Welding processes and equipment
- Materials and their behaviour during welding
- Construction and design
- Fabrication, applications engineering
This advanced master's programme strives to offer students a complete training in the professional niche of Welding Engineering. The programme has the following goals:
- Guaranteeing a complete accordance with the minimal requirements of the International Institute of Welding as described in its IIW Guideline in document IAB 252r2-14 "Minimum Requirements for the Education, Examination and Qualification for Personnel with Responsibility for Welding Coordination";
- Provide broad and in-depth knowledge and skills of all kinds of courses related to welding necessary for a welding engineer to function in the current social and economic context. These courses include welding processes, materials science, metallurgy of high and low alloy steels, non-ferrous materials, metallurgy of compounds of heterogenous materials, the prevention of corrosion and abrasion, construction codes, welding standards, design exercises, quality control, production and manufacturing techniques.
This programme opens up a wide spectrum of professional possibilities and exposes you to a varied field of action.: As a welding engineer, you will carry out a wide range of duties, including research, design, production, maintenance, sales and quality inspection.
Our graduates find employment in local SMEs, large multinational industrial companies, private and public organisations at home and abroad.
There is demand for experts with the capability to conduct solid research, carry out quality control analyses, and perform inspections
The Welding Engineering programme is offered at the KU Leuven.
Questions about student life in Belgium, life at KU Leuven or more information about a specific course? Chat with our students: www.kuleuven/be/chatwithourstudents.
All courses are mandatory
- Welding Processes and Equipment
- Fabrication, Applications Engineering
- Master's Thesis
- Materials and their Behaviour during Welding
- Construction and Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Mechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 15 other Masters in Mechanical Engineering in Belgium
- Students holding a degree obtained outside of the Flemish Community may contact the programme coordinator of the campus in question to find out whether they qualify for a transitional or preparatory programme.
- In order to be admitted to the programme, you need to send in an official TOEFL or IELTS certificate. Technology Campus De Nayer, Sint-Katelijne-Waver only takes into account the following scores: TOEFL: PB 550 or more, CB 213 or more, iB 79 or more; IELTS: 6,5 or more.
International1750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1750 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA1750 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1750 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.