You'll investigate the different disciplinary areas within Classical Studies , and you will come into direct contact with a wide range of evidence from classical antiquity including literary texts and material artefacts, which you’ll examine from multiple theoretical and methodological perspectives. You will also acquire and develop research skills that will enhance your knowledge of the ancient Graeco-Roman world and prepare you for independent study, culminating in a dissertation.
Key features of the Classical Studies course from The Open University UK
- Explores the question of ‘how we know what we know’ about the ancient civilisations of Greece and Rome
- Takes an interdisciplinary approach to studying the ancient body, from birth, through ancient medicine, dress and beauty to death
- Draws on cutting-edge research by members of the Classical Studies department
- Concludes with a substantial piece of independent research on a topic of your choice.
From an academic point of view, an MA in Classical Studies is the final step towards a PhD and an academic career, but it also has a much wider relevance in terms of employability. As well as giving you the means to continue your study of the ancient world and the opportunity to explore an area of that world which particularly interests you, the MA in Classical Studies can help benefit your career in a number of ways.
Classical Studies graduates often go on to careers in museums, journalism and teaching, but other employers recognise the unique qualities of a Classical Studies degree as well: they have long valued the skills and abilities that Classical Studies graduates display because of the high level of critical and independent thinking involved, the close work with sources of evidence and attention to detail, as well as the proven ability graduates have to conduct independent research, evaluate a range of types of evidence, and complete projects to deadlines and within word limits.
Above all, an MA in Classical Studies leads to a better understanding of where we come from and who we are today, and employers often recognise the value of such a unique perspective on human culture and society.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessmentThe learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies General Studies & Classics Liberal Arts View 26 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You must hold a UK honours degree (or equivalent), preferably with at least a 2:1 classification to study our MA in Classical Studies. Although your degree does not need to be in Classical Studies, you will need some knowledge of the subject to successfully complete this qualification.
- If your degree is not in Ancient History, Ancient World Studies, Archaeology, Art History, Classics, Classical Archaeology, Classical Civilisation, Classical Studies, Greek & Roman Studies, Greek, History, Latin, Literature (of any kind), Arts & Humanities with a specialism in one of these areas or a joint honours degree combining any of these subject areas, we strongly recommend that you refer to the 'Preparatory work' listed in the Entry requirements for MA Classical Studies part 1.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9990 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9990 GBP per year and a duration of 24 months.
The total cost you pay for your qualification is dependent on the modules you choose to study. With us, you pay for your modules as you study them, rather than the whole qualification up front.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.