You'll explore aspects of British and Irish local and regional history between 1750 and 1950, and be introduced to the key themes of poverty and welfare, crime and policing, the role of families, urban history, religion and industrialisation. Using our world-class collection of online primary source materials, you'll be encouraged to produce an independent research project on a topic of your choice.
Key features of the course
- Develops your ability to present a sustained argument in clear, logical prose
- Builds your skills of analysis, critical thinking and practical research
- Provides a firm foundation for further research studies
- Applicable to a wide range of careers.
In addition to specific study of history, this degree will provide you with practical skills in the use of print and online primary source material and experience of project planning, research methods and writing a dissertation. An MA in History from The Open University UK can enhance your prospects if you work in (or plan to work in), teaching, libraries, archives, museums, heritage, travel and tourism. It is also excellent preparation for doctoral studies if you’re planning an academic career. History can also be valuable in a range of other careers, including journalism, writing, the civil service or public administration.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Learning outcomes, teaching and assessment
The learning outcomes of this qualification are described in four areas:
- Knowledge and understanding
- Cognitive skills
- Practical and professional skills
- Key skills
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Ancient History Modern History View 33 other Masters in History in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- You must hold a UK honours degree (or equivalent), preferably with at least a 2:1 classification to study our MA in History.
- Although your degree does not need to be in History or a closely related subject, you will need some knowledge of the subject to successfully complete this qualification, as the MA in History assumes all candidates have the knowledge and skills usually acquired by pursuing the subject at undergraduate level.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9990 GBP per year and a duration of 30 months.
EU/EEA9990 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9990 GBP per year and a duration of 30 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Getting a Student Visa
This is an online programme. You can attend from the comfort of your chair! So you don't need a student visa!
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.