According to Elsevier, Leiden has the best MA programme in North American Studies in the Netherlands. Moreover, the Leiden programme has received the label ‘top programme’ in the Keuzegids Masters of March 2019. This ranking is based on the opinion of students (through the National Student Survey) and academic experts (NVAO).
During your studies you will learn alongside talented and highly-motivated students in a diverse and international classroom setting. Classes are kept relatively small to allow for a high level of interaction with your instructors, all of whom are internationally acclaimed researchers in the field of American Studies, and to facilitate a research-led learning environment.
North American Studies at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in North American Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
- The master’s programme in North American Studies prepares you for a wide range of careers in which well-developed analytical and other academic skills or specialised knowledge of U.S. history, literature, politics, and culture are valued.
- Our graduates pursue careers in the international job market in fields including teaching, journalism, IT, business, politics, government policy, publishing and research.
More informationVisit official programme website
- The master's programme in North American Studies consists of one core course, three elective research seminars, and an MA thesis. You also have the option of replacing one elective course with an internship at an organisation or institution in the Netherlands or abroad.
- The Leiden programme offers an international classroom setting: it draws international and internationally oriented students from a range of academic backgrounds and has an international teaching staff.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Languages View 98 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.