You'll understand the methods in which environmental considerations and climate change are used in development and planning decisions. You'll be expected to probe, for example, strategies and policy options for achieving sustainable development without increasing the ecological footprint of economic activities.
After graduation, many of our graduates get an Associate membership of IEMA (Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment) by doing the online exam. Becoming an Associate member of IEMA allows you to use the AIEMA suffix after your name — a way to prove to employers, clients and colleagues that you’re on the great career path that the MSc has given you.
Most of our students also become members of the IAIA (International Association for Impact Assessment) as the University offers a bulk discount membership for students. The IAIA launched IAIA Work Experience Program in 2017, which is only available to IAIA members (including student members). This innovative programme allows members who complete specific projects of benefit to the IAIA to be recognised through:
- a Certificate acknowledging the work
- the ability to include that project as professional work on their CV
This Sustainability and Environmental Studies at University of Strathclyde enhances the professional capacity of our students who take on a project; gaining skills that are complementary to the MSc programme.
There’s a strong demand for graduates with environmental management and policy making skills. As a graduate, you may find yourself in a range of positions in:
- Private consultancies
- Government agencies
- Local authorities
- Environmental regulators, businesses and agencies
Job titles include:
- Community Renewal Energy Manager
- Energy & Environmental Manager
- Environmental Officer
- Estates Manager
- Graduate Planner
- Principal Senior Ecologist
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Environmental Pollution Management
- Geographical Information Systems (GIS)
- Global Water Policy
- Pollution and Rehabilitation of Degraded Ecosystems
- Principles of Environmental Microbiology
- Science, Technology & Innovation Policy
- Waste Management & Landfill Design
- Water & Environmental Management
- City Systems & Infrastructure
- Public Health Studies
- Work, Wellbeing and New Technology
- If you're interested in climate change you should
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- There’s no formal closing date for postgraduate applications
DisciplinesSustainable Development Environmental Sciences View 205 other Masters in Sustainable Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally a first-class or second-class honours degree (or international equivalent) in any degree discipline.
- All backgrounds considered, including social sciences, arts, engineering, law, chemistry, maths, physics, geology, biology and business.
- Lower degree classifications may be considered if there is strength elsewhere (for example, relevant work experience, excellent final project/dissertation, very strong academic letter of reference, very strong application statement linking with career goals.)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 21850 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA8850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8850 GBP for the full programme and a duration of 12 months.
- Rest of UK: £9,250
- £4,200 per 60 credits (Distance Learning)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for additional visa infoVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.