The courses offered in Advanced Mathematics and Mathematical Engineering (MAMME) at the Polytechnic University of Catalonia, allow our students to design their curriculum, with two different orientations: a pure mathematics curriculum (oriented to research in fundamental mathematics) or an applied mathematics curriculum (preparing them for applied mathematics research and for interdisciplinary team working, in collaboration with engineers, physicists, biologists, economists, etc).
The curriculum comprises a total of 60 ECTS, divided in 45 ECTS for courses and 15 ECTS for the master’s thesis. It is intended to be completed in one academic year. In addition, MAMME offers the possibility of registering up to 22.5 ECTS in other masters in mathematics or statistics, or in other UPC master programs, opening the path for an interdisciplinary curriculum based on selected courses in masters in engineering and applied sciences.
The Catalan Agency for the Management of University and Research Grants (AGAUR) has distinguished MAMME with the International Master’s Programme (IMP) mention in the 2013 call.
This Advanced Mathematics and Mathematical Engineering programme is offered by Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya · BarcelonaTech (UPC) School of Mathematics and Statistics.
Some of the career prospects of master graduates are academic research (by pursuing a PhD in mathematics, science or engineering, for instance), mathematical modeling in industry, finance, statistics, applied research (biomedical research centers, computer vision, etc.)
Generic competencies are the skills that graduates acquire regardless of the specific course or field of study. The generic competencies established by the UPC are capacity for innovation and entrepreneurship, sustainability and social commitment, knowledge of a foreign language (preferably English), teamwork and proper use of information resources.
- (Research). Read and understand advanced mathematical papers. Use mathematical research techniques to produce and transmit new results.
- (Modelling). Formulate, analyse and validate mathematical models of practical problems by using the appropriate mathematical tools.
- (Calculus). Obtain (exact or approximate) solutions for these models with the available resources, including computational means.
- (Critical assessment). Discuss the validity, scope and relevance of these solutions; present results and defend conclusions.
- (Teaching). Teach mathematics at university level.
- Codes and Cryptography
- Differentiable Manifolds
- Discrete and Algorithmic Geometry
- Graph Theory
- Mathematical Modelling with Partial Differential Equations
- Non-Commutative Algebra
- Number Theory
- Numerical Methods for Dynamical Systems
- Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equations
- Quantitative and Qualitative Methods in Dynamical Systems
- Advanced Course in Partial Differential Equations
- Algebraic Geometry
- Commutative Algebra
- Computational Mechanics
- Hamiltonian Systems
- Mathematical Models in Biology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics General Engineering & Technology Actuarial Science View 8 other Masters in Actuarial Science in Spain
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- This master's degree is aimed at students with good abstract reasoning, an interest in problem solving, strong work habits and a liking for mathematics.
- A scientific background is required, with basic mathematical foundations. For this reason, a bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering, economics or science is recommended. This list is non-exhaustive, and all applications will be reviewed on an individual basis.
- The following elements will be taken into consideration during the evaluation process: the academic record, the CV, a statement of purpose and, if deemed necessary, a personal interview and recommendation letters.
International4149 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4149 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
EU/EEA2766 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2766 EUR for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Barcelona
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.