The Philosophy programme of Saarland University it's not restricted to students who have already completed a Bachelor's degree in the subject. Students without prior exposure to philosophical study can subsequently acquire the knowledge and skills normally obtained during a Bachelor's programme.
The single-subject Master's programme offers students considerable freedom to tailor the programme to meet their individual requirements. Students can…
- study the full breadth of the subject or can select areas of specialist interest in theoretical or practical philosophy,
- choose to study only at Saarland University or to conduct some of their studies at universities in neighbouring countries such as in Nancy (France) or in Luxembourg, or pursue a full study-abroad semester,
- study philosophy in its purist form, can adopt a strong interdisciplinary approach, or can choose to focus on practical applications.
Graduates from the M.A. programme in Philosophy at Saarland University have learned to think in a clear and structured manner, know how to distinguish between good and bad arguments and they are skilled in abstract reasoning. Philosophy graduates find employment in a very wide range of fields including research and education, the cultural sector, politics, business, higher-education and adult education, publishing, journalism, working for political parties and NGOs or as consultants in, for example, the areas of environmental or medical ethics.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Practical Philosophy
- Theoretical Philosophy
- Language, Knowledge and Logic in Presence and History
- Metaphysics and Philosophy of Mind in Presence and History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
Deadlines for foreign applicants without German proficiency:
- July 15 (winter semester)
- January 15 (summer semester)
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics View 12 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's or equivalent university degree in philosophy (major or minor) or in a related degree program. With adequate previous knowledge in philosophy, access is also possible with a degree from another subject. This prior knowledge can also be acquired only at the beginning of the master's program
- The extraordinary achievements made in the previous academic career and
- A selection interview with lecturers of the subject
- Knowledge of English according to level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference and adequate knowledge of another foreign language relevant to philosophy (usually Ancient Greek, Latin or French)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
- There are no tuition fees
- Students have to pay the administration fee and the contributions of the student body of 288 EUR before enrollment or confirmation
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.