On this course, you'll develop an advanced understanding of core mechanical engineering disciplines, including design and critical evaluation of structural integrity, computational fluid dynamics, advanced materials, energy and control systems. You'll also pick up valuable transferable skills in creative thinking, critical analysis and team working.
You'll plan and produce a personal research project, and we'll provide the expertise and support so you can develop your professional practice. Once you graduate, you'll have all the tools you need for a career as a mechanical engineer.
On this course you'll:
- Get hands-on laboratory experience using our experimental and computational facilities dedicated to mechanical engineering, including advanced simulation and modelling software
- Study structural integrity, control systems, advanced materials, energy systems, structural application of finite elements and computational fluid dynamics
- Benefit from our links with industry partners in the UK and abroad, and have the opportunity to investigate real-life industrial problems
- Tie-in your individual project with one of our research groups, and benefit from the expertise of our experienced research staff.
- Research topics including aerospace materials, design engineering, polymers and composites, and energy engineering
When you graduate, you'll be qualified to work as a mechanical engineer in fields including design, research and development, manufacturing or the Armed Forces. You could choose to work in a small business within the mechanical engineering sector, or start your own specialist company.
Career opportunities include:
- Mechanical engineer
- Product design engineer
- Aerospace engineer
- Application engineer
- Product manufacture
- Project management
We'll provide you with as much support as possible in finding employment through close industrial contacts, careers events, recruitment fairs and individual advice.
This course meets the UK Engineering Council's Standard for Professional Engineering Competence (UK-SPEC), and is accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET). You'll also be on the path towards registration as an Incorporated (IEng) or Chartered Engineer (CEng).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Advanced Materials
- Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Control Systems
- Energy Systems
- Individual Project
- Structural Application of Finite Elements
- Structural Integrity
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
DisciplinesMechanical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 755 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in United Kingdom
- A second-class honours degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.