Accounting and financial management are crucial for the economy’s efficiency. Strong competences in both accounting and financial management are needed to understand the interplay of the financial processes under constantly changing circumstances in today’s increasingly complex society.
The Accounting and Financial Management programme of the University of Gothenburg stands out by providing these competences, built upon a strong research base in sustainability aspects. Knowledge of both accounting and financial management, with a strong foundation in sustainability, equips you with a skillset in high demand and prepares you for qualified work within the fields of accounting and financial management.
A uniquely balanced programme with a strong sustainability profile
The program is balanced between the subjects management accounting, financial accounting, and financial management. Management accounting courses focus on the design and use of management control systems from both a strategic and business process perspective, and they incorporate state-of-the-art information technology solutions for performance management, decision-making, planning, and control. Financial accounting courses involve measurement and disclosure issues facing enterprises in their financial reporting, and the impact of these issues on financial statement users. Financial reporting as a communicative tool is also covered. Financial management courses focus on long-term decision making with respect to investments, financing, and risk management, and the role of markets, information, and incentives are taken into account.
Through lectures and work-assignments, you will develop your skills in oral and written communication, analytical problem solving, project management and teamwork, and information searches. You can specialize within the field of accounting and financial management or broaden your skills with elective courses from other programmes.
Opportunities for interaction and engagement
Throughout the programme, you will have opportunities to relate theoretical knowledge to contemporary developments in surrounding society. We frequently have guest lectures, some of which provide an organizational perspective and open discussions on how theory can relate to unique situations, and others that address the background, trends, and general developments in the field. You will engage in case assignments and develop the ability to analyze actual practices of organizations and the interaction with theory. Contemporary developments in sustainability and digitalization affect current accounting and financial management practices, and our programme continuously scrutinizes these ongoing challenges and interactions, and provides you opportunities to engage with them.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Perspectives on Accounting and Financial Management
- Management Accounting, Strategy, and Control
- Theoretical Perspectives of Financial Accounting
- Enterprise Risk Management
- Applied Corporate Finance
- Research in Accounting and Financial Management
- A Bachelor's degree (equivalent to 180 ECTS credits) from an internationally recognized university
- English 6/English B from Swedish upper secondary school or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test
- A minimum of 60 credits of courses in business administration and 30 credits in economics, or 60 credits in economics and 30 credits in business administration, with a specialization in accounting or finance/financial management, and a minimum of 15 credits in statistics or 7,5 credits in statistics and 7,5 credits in quantitative methods and/or mathematics
International8302 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 16605 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Full programme cost: 168,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.