On this MSc Economics, Finance and Banking degree course, you'll focus on business decision-making and strategy. You'll learn to interpret trends, identify market risks and assess public policy, while developing the forecasting techniques that'll make you a real asset to the financial services and banking sectors.
When you graduate, your Master's degree can open doors to ambitious roles in the finance and banking sectors, business and commerce, industry, and private and public sectors.
What you'll experience
- Evaluate economic theories, principles and strategy
- Learn how to interpret trends and identify market risks
- Assess public policy arguments
- Develop financial forecasting techniques
- Study themes including financial markets, econometrics, regulation and international banking
- Use our Bloomberg terminals to monitor and analyse real-time financial market data movements and trades
- Receive support and mentoring from staff, both face-to-face and via social media
- Complete an independent research project, based on economic research in a topic of your choice
- Tap in to our library’s array of electronic resources, including ejournals and newspapers
Work experience and career planning
This course will provide you with the analytical skills needed to work in financial markets. You’ll be in a strong position to enjoy a successful career in the finance and banking sectors, business and commerce, industry, and private and public sectors.
What jobs can you do with a Economics, Finance and Banking degree?
Career opportunities include:
- Account manager
- Financial analyst
- Trader in financial assets
- Purchasing and acquisitions officer
- Business professional
- Commercial, industrial or public sector manager
We'll help you find a job that puts your Master's degree to work, wherever your career aspirations lead you. Our Careers and Employability service is on hand to help you identify positions that match your skills and interests, and can help you put your best foot forward when you leave University.
You can get help, advice and support for up to 5 years from our Careers and Employability service as you advance in your career.
Teaching and programme assessment
Teaching on this course includes:
- student presentations
- in-class exercises
- practical sessions using the Bloomberg Suite
You are assessed in ways that reflect individual topics. You'll get help to build the personal management and employability skills that are essential for a fulfilling career.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Competition Policy and the Regulation of Markets
- Corporate Finance: Technical Foundations
- Econometric Modelling
- Financial Econometrics
- Financial Markets and Instruments
- International Banking, Financial Markets and Monetary Policy
- International Banking: Efficiency, Competition and Regulation
- Personal Tutoring for Economics and Finance Postgraduate Programmes
- Research Methods and Dissertation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesBanking and Investment View 182 other Masters in Banking and Investment in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A second-class honours degree in a relevant or related subject, which includes some element of statistics or quantitative methods, or equivalent professional experience and/or qualifications.
- English language proficiency at a minimum of IELTS band 6.5 with no component score below 6.0.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
Living costs for Portsmouth
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.