Each student chooses one specialization and the focus of their studies is in that track. All students must complete five type A/required courses. The remainder of the programme consists of type B/selective and type C/elective courses that the student chooses based on the track chosen. The student then writes a Master’s thesis based on the track and relevant coursework. With the exception of some courses in translation, all teaching, coursework, and exams in this study programme are carried out in the English language.
Graduates with this English Language and Literature degree from Masaryk University are capable of complex written and oral expression in English. They have a deep knowledge of the literatures, cultures, and histories of the major English-speaking countries, including the United Kingdom, the United States, Ireland, and the Commonwealth countries. They are able to analyse various forms and functions of language in diverse genres and communicative situations. In addition to work in the fields of translating, interpreting, editing, journalism, tourism, and teaching at both the secondary and tertiary levels, graduates are well-suited for any profession that demands the ability to think and express themselves independently and critically.
- Literary and Cultural Theory
- The Historical Development of English
- Czech Literature in English
- Practical English Exam
- Oral Practical English Exam
- Pronunciation Varieties of English
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 4 other Masters in Linguistics in Czech Republic
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Applicants for study in follow-up Master’s degree programmes must prove they completed higher education in the Bachelor’s, Master’s or doctoral degree programme.
Applicants must submit following documents:
- two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a teacher
- statement of purpose in English (750 words maximum)
- copy of the applicant's Bachelor's thesis or its equivalent or 15 pages of applicant´s original academic paper
- a document demonstrating English-language skills at the C1 level
- transcript of university/college studies
- programme North-American Culture Studies requires demonstration of French-language/Spanish language skills at the B1 level
International2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA2500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2500 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Brno
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.