This interdisciplinary approach enables you to understand the processes of climate variability and climate change and its respective consequences for societies, including how they respond to these.
The analysis and assessment of our climate and earth system increasingly require interdisciplinary competencies. Not least because of the pressure to act with regard to adaptation to climate change, there is an increasing demand for interdisciplinary scientists and climate experts.
Our interdisciplinary claim challenges the traditional subject-related teaching. The MSc ICSS has developed special interdisciplinary courses and enables study projects, theses and mentoring in a cross-curricular and research-oriented context.
Graduates of the MSc program in Integrated Climate System Sciences at University of Hamburg face excellent career prospects in fields such as academia, development cooperation, or consultancies.
49% of our graduates pursue a PhD, whereas 10% find positions in development cooperation or industry. The transition rate to adequate employment is very good. After graduation, almost 75% of our graduates find a position in less than six months.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Physics of the climate system
- Biogeochemistry of the climate system
- Climate-related economics and social sciences
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Climate Studies & Meteorology Environmental Sciences View 17 other Masters in Earth Sciences in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Demonstrated skills in mathematics and physics equivalent to 60 CP (1 CP equals 30 hours of study) and a B.Sc. degree in a subject related to climate system sciences such as meteorology, oceanography, environmental physics, or other Earth System Sciences are required. Admission of applicants with less than 60 CP is subject to individual evaluation.
- Applicants must provide adequate proof of English proficiency, e.g.:
- English B.Sc. or M.Sc.
- TOEFL internet-based test: minimum score of 90 (with a minimum sub score of 20 for Listening, Comprehension, Speaking and Writing)
- IELTS: at least band 6.5 (with a minimum sub score of 6.0 for Listening, Comprehension, Speaking and Writing)
- CEFR Level C1 (with sub scores of at least C1 for Listening, Comprehension, Speaking and Writing)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
No tuition fees.
Living costs for Hamburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last year
Check the official programme website for potential updates.