Increasingly, the general public wants to be and needs to be informed about scientific topics. At the same time, scientists need to show accountability to the general public about their research. In this specialisation you bridge the gap between experts and the public by combining high quality research in biology with extensive training in science communication. After completion you have obtained the necessary knowledge and skills to either become science communicator with a strong biology background, or a biologist with a communicating mindset.Do you want to bridge the gap between scientific research and the public? Do you want to combine high quality biology research with professional science communication? Then, this master's specialisation is an excellent opportunity for you. You will be prepared for a career as a science or health communicator, policy maker, PR officer, science journalist, health officer, museum educator or a researcher with a communicating mindset.
Why study Biology and Science Communication and Society at Leiden University?
- The specialisation provides you with at least one full year of research training in Biology, followed by a year of courses, internships and research in the field om science communication.
- Within the programme, you have ample opportunities to assemble our own study path based on your own interests and ambitions.
- You will get hands-on experience during a science communication research or practical internship within a relevant organisation, such as popular science magazines, science museums, radio or television.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The curriculum of this master’s specialisation consists of a Biology component to be followed in the first year, and a Science Communication and Society component in the second year.
- The Biology component can be extended with an additional 20 EC (courses or extension of the research project to 80 EC in total).
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Biology View 49 other Masters in Biology in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
- Placement Letter
International19100 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19100 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA2168 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2168 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.