Develop your knowledge of English literature and its many genres with the master's in English Literature and Culture at Leiden University. Taught by Leiden University's acclaimed English literature faculty, this programme gives you access to excellent teaching and resources including Leiden University’s unique collection of manuscripts, books, periodicals and electronic media.
An expansive curriculum spanning the Middle Ages to the present day gives you scope to pursue your personal area of interest. Choose from ‘popular’ culture to the classics; from Beowulf to Chaucer; Milton and Shakespeare to James Joyce and Anglo-American films. Besides reading works from the traditional canons of British and American literature, you can also focus on speculative fiction, the Gothic, and Hollywood film.English Literature and Culture at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in Literary Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsThe master in English Literature and Culture prepares you for a wide range of positions. Some of the positions of our alumni include:
- Account executive at a communications agency
- Policy officer at The Ministry of Education, Culture and Science
- English teacher at a university of professional education
- English teacher at a secondary school
- Junior information specialist at an association of civil-law notaries
- Project officer for subtitling at a company specialising in media translations
- PhD researcher at a foreign university
- Project manager at a translation and interpreting agency
- Publishing assistant at a legal publishing house
- Copywriter at a software and consultancy company
- Content manager and communications advisor at a multinational accountancy firm
More informationVisit official programme website
The English Literature and Culture master’s programme consists of four courses and an MA thesis:
- Courses 1 and 2: Any two courses from the English Literature and Culture programme
- Course 3: Any course offered from the English Literature and Culture programme or any other course within the MA Literary Studies (German, French, Italian, Literature & Society).
- Course 4: Any course offered from the English Literature and Culture programme or any other course within the MA Literary Studies, a course on a literary subject taught in another master’s programme (for example, North American Studies), a course offered within the master’s programme in Linguistics: English Language and Linguistics, or a course offered via Masterlanguage.
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Literature View 99 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.