This one-year master's in Southeast Asian Studies is designed for highly-motivated students interested in studying Southeast Asia from a comparative and global perspective. You will explore the countries or regions of Southeast Asia through the lens of complementary disciplines including history, literature, art and art history, media and cultural studies, religious studies, philosophy and philology.
A flexible degree format allows you to tailor your degree to reflect your interests or specific career goals. Choose from a broad range of electives, select your own area of research for your MA thesis, and focus your studies on a language and a single country, or on a specific discipline and region.
Southeast Asian Studies at Leiden University is an accredited degree programme. After successful completion of this programme, you will receive a master’s degree in Asian Studies and the title Master of Arts (MA).
Career prospectsSome of the occupations of our graduates include:
- Account manager at a translation agency
- Project manager at a trading and consultancy company in India
- Owner of a consultancy firm
- Consultant at a defence and security company
- Communications officer at an animation studio in Japan
- Relations management officer at an organisation promoting internationalisation in education
- Editor at an academic publishing house
- Content editor at a booking website
More informationVisit official programme website
- The first semester consists of the core courses Introduction to Asian Studies and Thesis and Methods Class which are compulsory for all students of the MA Asian Studies. In addition, you will take two compulsory core courses on Southeast Asia, and elective courses.
- The Southeast Asia core courses deal respectively with viewpoints on Southeast Asian history, and with the politics of culture in Southeast Asia. The elective(s) introduce the issues, debates and methodologies of a discipline with a regional focus on one of the countries or regions of Asia.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Philosophy & Ethics View 40 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Netherlands
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.