This Environmental Management with Geographic Information Systems course from Ulster University aims to teach how environmental management and data handling tools, such as impact assessment, site conservation planning, environmental management systems, ecological monitoring and GIS are applied in making knowledge based decisions on managing the environment. This is considered in the context of environmental legislative/policy frameworks within which industry, government and voluntary bodies work.
Specific objectives are to:
- Understand the importance of evidence-based approach to environmental policy and strategic decision-making
- Apply quantitative techniques to assess the effects of environmental management
- Use GIS as a framework for collating, manipulating and managing spatial data relating to the environment
- Produce environmental impact statements and advise on implementing environmental management systems
- Apply structured planning principles to site biodiversity management and ecosystem restoration
- Monitor pollution and assess its environmental effects.
The majority of students on the course are already working in industry or public services and taking the course has helped them to gain promotion and/or change careers as a result of their new skills.
Key skills which will be developed are:
- Biodiversity management plans and site restoration design
- Ecological monitoring
- Environmental management systems
- Research analysis and data interpretation techniques
- Management, processing, analysis, interpretation and presentation of geo-spatial data
- Operation and use of Geographic Information Systems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Remote Sensing
- Principles of GIS
- Photogrammetry and Advanced Image Analysis
- Marine Remote Sensing
- Spatial Data Management
- Spatial Analysis
- GIS for Environmental Management
- Biodiversity Management
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
Postgraduate Diploma - 120
DisciplinesGeographical Information Systems (GIS) Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 30 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Entry to the PgDip:
- You must hold a degree in a science or other suitable discipline or demonstrate your ability to undertake the course through the accreditation of prior experiential learning.
- You initially register for the Postgraduate Diploma (PgDip) and if you complete the PgDip with an overall mark of 50% or higher can proceed to the MSc programme.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4970 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4970 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
EU/EEA2090 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2090 GBP per year and a duration of 36 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.