Geology is a multi- faceted science, offering a wide variety of employment opportunities, working environments and the chance to visit unusual places. The Department of Geological Sciences offers a comprehensive undergraduate curriculum in the Geological Sciences including an honours program. At the postgraduate level the Department offers a Master of Science in Geology (by thesis) and PhD program.
MSc and PhD
The department normally has between 10 and 20 full time postgraduate students in Masters and PhD projects. These degrees are entirely by thesis. Our postgraduates are supported by NRF bursaries, industry partners, and by demonstrating for undergraduate courses and working as research assistants.
- Isotope and Marine Geochemistry
- Economic Geology
- Metamorphic and Mantle Petrology
- Quaternary Geology
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology Environmental Sciences View 14 other Masters in Earth Sciences in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A BSc degree with a major in Geology, first qualifying courses in Chemistry and Mathematics. A first qualifying course in Physics is recommended. The Senate may accept other courses as being equivalent to these and this criterion will be applied when considering science graduates from other universities.
- Registrations are limited to 16 and acceptance will be at the discretion of the Head of Department, who will consider quality of final year results, material covered in undergraduate curriculum, and referee reports in making decisions. Preference will be given to UCT graduates who meet the course entry requirements.
Living costs for Cape Town
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.