The Southeast Asian Studies programme at Goethe University Frankfurt offers prospective students, who have a good working knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Malaysia and who are acquainted with the region, the opportunity to pursue advanced studies on the languages, cultures and societies of Southeast Asia with a special focus on the Malay World (Indonesia, Malaysia, Brunei Darussalam, Singapore and East Timor).
A philological cultural studies approach to area studies is combined with individual freedom to draw on the various excellent resources of different departments present at Goethe University of Frankfurt in order to encourage interdisciplinary and innovative research for the Master's thesis in Southeast Asian Studies.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Specialisations outlined in the curriculum:
- a focus on classical philology and history,
- a focus on modern languages and society, and
- a focus on culture and economy
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Southeast Asian Studies or equivalent. BA degrees from other disciplines in the humanities or social sciences may also be accepted if the applicant has a good command of Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Malaysia (minimum of 200 hours of language instruction at University level or equivalent) and knowledge of Southeast Asia.
- A good command of Bahasa Indonesia or Bahasa Malaysia (minimum of 200 hours of language instruction at the university level or equivalent)
- A convincing CV
- a convincing motivation letter in English
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Semester fee: 369 EUR
Living costs for Frankfurt am Main
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.