At Linguistics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong research theses completed at this department aim to integrate general theories of language structure, language acquisition and language use with the detailed, in-depth study of the languages of Hong Kong and the region from a comparative perspective.
We encourage research into different language phenomena pertinent to Hong Kong, China and the Asian-Pacific region, with emphasis on general theory and methodology.
Students at Linguistics from The Chinese University of Hong Kong will:
- received a solid training in language study
- demonstrate a good ability in independent research.
- work in one of the areas of specialization of the faculty members: Theoretical Linguistics, Chinese Linguistics, Language Acquisition, Bilingualism, and Sign Linguistics. The data for investigation will depend on the nature of the research project and may involve any relevant language.
- Theoretical Linguistics
- Chinese Linguistics
- Language Acquisition
- Sign Linguistics
- Cognitive Neuroscience of Language
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Clearing Round: 31 March (Applications in Clearing Round will only be considered subject to availability of places.)
DisciplinesLanguages Literature Linguistics View 26 other Masters in Linguistics in Hong Kong (SAR)
- graduated from a recognized university and obtained a bachelor's degree, normally with honours not lower than Second Class; or
- graduated from an honours programme of a recognized university with a bachelor's degree, normally achieving an average grade of not lower than "B"; or
- completed a course of study in a tertiary educational institution and obtained professional or similar qualifications equivalent to an honours degree.
- English Proficiency
International5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 12 months.
National5363 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5363 USD per year during 12 months.
HK$42,100 per annum
Living costs for Hong Kong
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.