This will be consolidated by a visit to India, integrated into the degree programme. Topics taught include social, cultural and economic phenomena of modern India. The programme is supported by the interdisciplinary Centre for Modern Indian Studies (CeMIS).
- Subject focus
- The master's programme in Modern Indian Studies is designed to offer students a great deal of flexibility, allowing them to develop and pursue their own interests within the categories mentioned above. As such, students are able to develop their own thematic focus and specific profile. Aside from the two-semester introductory course, Interdisciplinary Studies of Modern India (18 ECTS), students are free to elect which courses they take, and in discussion with their supervisor, the theoretical and analytical focus of their thesis. Students also learn a modern Indian language.
Fields of work
- Those who have successfully completed a M.A. in Modern Indian Studies at the University of Göttingen are qualified to work in Indian or transnational enterprises, in development cooperation, in associations, in administration and in government agencies, in NGOs, the tourism sector, as well as in media and communications. They may also choose to pursue an academic career in research and teaching. The Masters Programme serves as a qualification to enter a doctoral programme.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Introduction to Qualitative Research: The Story Behind the Numbers
- Inherited Inequality
- Anthropology of Inequality
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies View 60 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Indian Studies, in Indology or any other social, economic, or humanistic science, including geography with a total of at least 50 credits
- Language requirements: English (proof required)
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester contribution fee: 355 euro
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.