As one of the biggest German university institutes in the field of media and communication, we offer three work-oriented emphases:
- Strategic Communication/Public Relations
- Media Management/Innovation Communication
- Online Communication/Digital Games
Students in the Media and Communication Science master’s program at Ilmenau University of Technology can pick a profile out of the three work-oriented emphases or put together an individual learning program.
The master’s program is based on the interdisciplinary Ilmenau model that combines communication science, economics and media technology. While in "Strategic Communication/Public Relations" the focus is on theories, methods and competencies from communication science – always application-oriented, of course –, "Media Management/Innovation Communication" has a higher share of media economics. The emphasis "Online Communication/Digital Games" deepens media technological aspects.
To guarantee a perfect interplay between research and teaching and to be able to always contribute the latest research findings to the teaching, the course offer is oriented along the extensive research activities of the institute.
The courses are almost completely held in English. Because of that and because of numerous worldwide contacts, our master’s program has a high share of international students. This not only makes our programme inspiring and exciting. It is also the ideal preparation for an increasingly globalized job market, where not only interface and transfer competencies but also intercultural competencies are becoming more and more important.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Trends in Media and Communication
- Scientific Work and Empirical Research
- The resonance of press releases in the social web
- International crisis communication
- Planning cross-media campaigns
- E-learning technology and didactics
- Procurement and production of TV entertainment
- How do media report about energy topics?
- Supply structures of digital games and entertainment
- Use of robots or interactive displays at the point of sale
- Public value of mediated gaming worlds
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMedia Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication View 20 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- a Bachelor's degree which requires 210 ECTS-credits, fulfills the prerequisite for applying to the Master's programme.
- secondary school transcript
- CV / resume
- Letter of motivation
- Brief exposé for a possible research paper which concentrates on the subject matter of the programme of study (2-3 pages)
- an up-to-date colour photograph for your student identity card (chip card) (35x45 mm) including your name
- if you have already completed / are completing a degree, a current
- degree certificate and/or a 'removal from the register of students
- certificate' should be included.
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 18 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.