About Russia and Eurasia Studies at Riga Stradins University
Russia's war against Ukraine has fundamentally impacted European security and will continue to cast a shadow over it in the foreseeable future as well. Other regional developments analysed in the study programme will continue to remain relevant in both the regional and global context. Those include:
- the so-called "frozen conflicts" in Moldova, Georgia, as well as the partially active conflict between Azerbaijan and Armenia;
- undemocratic governance and related potential political and economic transformation processes in a number of countries of Eastern Europe, Southern Caucasus and Central Asia;
- the influence of Taliban-ruled Afghanistan on Central Asian countries, in particular Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan;
- the increasing economic and political clout of the People's Republic of China in Central Asia and other regions via Belt and Road Initiative and its projects.
The Russia and Eurasia Studies programme will help graduates develop a career in the national diplomatic corps, at international organisations, commercial companies, universities and think-tanks with a focus on Russia and/or different Eurasian issues. The programme also prepares students for further PhD studies.
- Academic Workshop
- Belarus between the East and the West
- Civil Defence and Environmental Protection
- Gender and Sexuality in the Post-Post-Soviet Space
- Global Governance: Institutions and Processes
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Languages European Studies View 4 other Masters in European Studies in Latvia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences and/or humanities (in case the applicant has a bachelor’s degree in another field, there will be an interview with the Head of the programme);
- Certificate of English proficiency;
- Description of a prospective master’s thesis (essay);
- Letter of motivation.
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Riga
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.