The Audiovisual and Cinema Studies programme offered by Goethe University Frankfurt provides the student with profound knowledge about the history and theory of films and audiovisual media as well as competency to reflect upon current aesthetic questions, for competent analysis of texts and formats of audiovisual media, and for undertaking independent research (doctoral studies).
In close cooperation with the University of Paris 3-Sorbonne Nouvelle, University Paris 10-La Défense, Universität Liège, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore Mailand, Udine University, Birkbeck College – University of London, Ruhr-University Bochum, University Pompeu Fabra-Barcelona, Université Charles de Gaulle Lille 3, Université de Montréal, Università degli Studi Roma 3 and the University of Amsterdam, the Master's degree is awarded on the basis of a continuous two year (four semester) period of study as well as passing of the examinations designed according to the provisions of the study and examination regulations of the universities mentioned and these regulations.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History, theory and aesthetics of art and film
- Cultural heritage, archive and history of cinema
- Sociology, economics and technology of film and audiovisual media
- Visual culture and anthropology of the image
- Current practices of the image
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesFilm, Photography & Media View 15 other Masters in Film, Photography & Media in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's degree in Film and/or Media Studies or a related field of philology, art history or social sciences.
- If you didn't study your undergraduate degree in the field of "Theater-, Film- and Media Studies" at the Goethe-University: Transcript of Records and an extra page with the study-related courses (title of the course, CP and if possible the grade)
- Letter of motivation with an abstract for a deepening project, which clearifies the specific research interests of the applicant.
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification and Bachelor's degree must prove sufficient German language skills
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Semester fee: 369.89 EUR
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.