Passionate about working with children and young people? Ready to take your career with children and young people further? Then this ground-breaking and highly-flexible postgraduate course could be perfect for you.
The MA Childhood and Youth Studies course from University of Sunderland can be studied either full-time or part-time. Depending on the pathway you choose, you will graduate with one of three MA degree titles:
- MA Childhood and Youth Studies
- MA Childhood and Youth Studies (Early Years Graduate Practitioner Competencies)
- MA Childhood and Youth Studies (Youth Work, professionally validated and recognised by the Joint Negotiating Committee (JNC))
You will be taught by experienced and passionate lecturers with professional backgrounds in children and young people, early years and youth work. You will study a range of modules and gain an understanding of the theoretical perspectives through which childhood and young people are currently understood and defined within interdisciplinary contexts. You will also reflect critically upon current legislation, policy, and practice relating to children and young people.
- A Masters degree unique in the North East
- Professionally validated and recognised by the JNC, this pathway is a professional qualification*
- In September 2020, the Early Childhood Studies Degree Network announced Early Education and Childcare practitioners are now classified as Associate Professionals (Major Group 3 – Professional) instead of ‘Teaching and Childcare Support Occupations’ (Major Group 6 – Non-professional). Being Associate Professionals enhances graduates’ chances of gaining appropriate graduate/professional employment in the early childhood field
- Early Years Graduate Practitioner Competencies are endorsed by the ECSDN
- We have a long history of offering Childhood and Youth Studies courses at undergraduate level
- We have been providing education and training for professionally qualified Youth Workers for over 40 years
- We allow for flexibility around work commitments and childcare
- Leadership in Community Contexts
- Negotiated Study
- Childhood and Youth Studies Dissertation
- Contemporary Issues in Childhood and Youth Studies
- Theorising Childhood and Youth Studies
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Applications for most masters courses are open all year round, but we highly recommend that you apply for your course at least six months before it starts.
DisciplinesEducational Research Childhood Studies View 298 other Masters in Educational Research in United Kingdom
- We usually require applicants to hold at least an upper-second class honours degree (usually a 2:1 or above) or equivalent. Experience may be counted towards your application.
- Those who are interested in the MA Childhood and Youth Studies (Early Years Graduate Practitioner Competencies) or MA Childhood and Youth Studies (Youth Work, professionally validated and recognised by JNC) should have a relevant degree in the area and some experience working with children and youth respectively. An interview and satisfactory DBS will also be essential for entrants interested in either of these two pathways.
International13750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13750 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6750 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6750 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Sunderland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.