Moreover, the ability to teach with both cultural and linguistic sensitivity is even more valuable.
With its dual focus, the Master program ‘Applied Linguistics and TESOL’ will provide you with an understanding of the complex relationship between language use and context, as well as a strong theoretical and practical foundation in the field of teaching English to speakers of other languages.
Why should you choose this program?
This degree will provide you with:
- A critical understanding of key issues and debates in many areas of Applied Linguistics and of how these relate to English Language Teaching.
- A body of knowledge that will enhance your ability to undertake language teaching at a range of levels in different cultural and institutional contexts.
- The ability to reflect, analyse and critically evaluate language teaching and learning concepts and theories, and to understand and examine the assumptions underlying different classroom practices.
Key competencies and skills
On successful completion you will be able to
- Articulate the complex roles that language plays in human interactions in a range of professional and social contexts.
- Critically analyse communicative interactions from a range of theoretical perspectives, drawing on both established and cutting-edge theories of language and grammar.
- Critically evaluate bodies of research literature in the fields of applied linguistics and language education.
- Creatively design or adjust a second or foreign language curriculum in line with current evidence-based practice.
- Appraise language teaching materials, techniques and approaches with reference to language learning theories, learning context, and learner goals.
- Select or design language assessment tasks or tests that are appropriate to the purpose of the assessment, in line with current research-based practice.
- Apply a range of theoretical perspectives to understanding the complexities of language classrooms and the interactions that occur within such classrooms.
- Conceive and formulate research questions relating to language in use and language learning, and design research to address such questions.
- Synthesise findings in diverse areas of second language acquisition research in order to propose creative solutions to problems faced by language learners and language teachers.
- Digital resources in scientific research
- English for Academic purposes
- History and methodology of science
- History and Modern Issues of Pedagogical Science
- Theory and Practice of TESOL
- Second Foreign Language
Graduates can look forward to a fulfilling career in language teaching and language curriculum/programme management in public schools, private schools, tertiary institutions, etc.
Possible job positions:
- teacher of English as a second/foreign language (ESL)
- English language teaching (ELT) management
- Language analyst
- Project manager in education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- August 01 – for applicants from countries with visa regime
- August 20 – for applicants from visa-free countries
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor’s (Specialist) Degree Diploma in any field
- English language proficiency B+ level
- Examination in the field of General English and TESOL
- Interview with the program coordinator
International4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
National4500 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 EUR per year during 24 months.
- 334 600 Rubles
Living costs for Saint Petersburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.