This training at the Université de Lyon innovatively combines theoretical and applied courses (via projects and labs) with internships in a multidisciplinary environment. It covers a large spectrum starting from fundamentals in advanced manufacturing processes, material science and characterization in M1 up to the cutting edge research on key topics in M2 such as virtual manufacturing, smart and clean processes or component durability.
The increased awareness about sustainability issues results in changes in markets and customer behaviour as well as a growing demand for more sustainable and responsible products and production technologies. Even if the manufacturing industry significantly changed during the last decades, efforts still have to be done to be able to embrace future technological and environmental challenges related to the new transitions. There is thus a need for a new generation of graduates fitted not only with strong basics in this field but also with a new vision of what manufacturing has to be.
The objectives of the Sustainable Manufacturing and Advanced Technologies (SMAT) is thus to train the future industrial managers, researchers and lecturers with a strong technical and scientific expertise but also characterised by specific skills to face the challenges to come. This programme will specifically aim at:
- Providing the graduates strong basis in materials and manufacturing processes ;
- Developing a practical sense by implementing a wide range of manufacturing processes and characterization techniques;
- Developing international and intercultural skills through the various mobility opportunities;
- Training the graduates in collaborative work and project management;
- Proposing key specializations in digital manufacturing, smart processes, clean processes and component durability.
This international master's programme is taught entirely in English. All courses in semester 1 are offered on the campus of Saint-Etienne while the following semesters can be attended at one of the partner universities: Mines Saint-Etienne - EMSE (FR), Technical University of Chemnitz - TUC (Germany), University of Ljubljana - ULJ (Slovenia), National University of Science and Technology – NUST/MISIS (Russia) and a Swedish partner (under discussion). This programme especially builds on the strong, internationally recognized expertise of each partner’s research laboratories.
The main employment opportunities for graduates from his programme will be R&D or interdisciplinary project manager positions in the industry covering sectors from energy, transports, manufacturing to a greater extent and material production. They will also be able to work in academic research or higher education with possibilities to go on a PhD.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Semester 1: The manufacturing processes (EC Lyon site Saint-Etienne)
- Metalworking processes
- Additive manufacturing
- High temperature processes
- Physical Measurement
Semester 2: The materials and their characterization (EMSE – Saint-Etienne or NUST/MISIS – Russia)
- Materials: Correlation between microstructure and mechanical properties, Material selection, Thermodynamics and kinetics of materials
- Characterization: Modern Equipment and Techniques for Investigation of Structure and Properties of Metallic Alloys; Methods of Surfaces and Interfaces Investigation
- 2 month internship
Semester 3: Specialization
- Digital Manufacturing – Sweden (under discussion)
- Clean Manufacturing – Ljubljana, Slovenia
- Sustainable Manufacturing – Saint-Etienne, France
- Smart Manufacturing – Chemnitz, Germany
Semester 4: Research internship
- 6 month internship
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
2nd application session open from March 15th to April 11th 2022. The campus France procedure was compulsory for international students (deadline 01/01/22)
DisciplinesSustainable Development Engineering Management General Engineering & Technology View 34 other Masters in Sustainable Development in France
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- For the 1st year of Master: a Bachelor’s degree in a scientific subject related to the topics of this Master. English language, minimum level B2
- For enrolment directly in 2d year of Master: a completed first year of a Master’s programme in a related discipline. English language, minimum level B2
- Curriculum Vitae
- Personal statement
- Copy of your passport or identity document
- Passport or identity photo
- Academic reference from one of your professors, from the last year of your latest academic programme
- Reference from your employer if you are not currently registered as a student
- Transcript of your academic results for the current year and for all the preceding years of your university programmes.
- Copy of the last degree certificate that you were awarded
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International3770 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3770 EUR per year
EU/EEA243 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 243 EUR per year
Living costs for Saint-Étienne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.