The Exploration and Applied Geophysics MSc degree offered at University of Pisa is designed to train geophysicists with a solid basic preparation and with specialized skills to face and solve different types of geological and engineering problems in the basic and applied fields. Thanks to the highly interdisciplinary character of this degree, geophysicists are trained to interact effectively with other professional figures working in the different sectors of Earth Sciences and Engineering.
The Programme in Exploration and Applied Geophysics will allow students to acquire:
- solid basic preparation in physics, mathematics and computer science;
- additional knowledge of geology, physics and mathematics useful to the understanding of geological phenomena by means of geophysical prospecting and exploration methods. This cultural baggage will be complemented by information technology skills for data processing;
- good command of scientific methods of investigation such as electric, electromagnetic, seismic, gravimetric and radar methods, as well as data analysis and interpretation techniques to obtain information on sub-surface geology and physical features of materials investigated;
- ability to apply geophysical and mathematical tools to the study of both large- and small-scale geological phenomena, exploration and production of natural resources, exploration of subsurface geological structures, prevention of environmental risks, prospection for the design and construction of major engineering works, non-destructive surveys for the maintenance and safety of buildings and infrastructures in urban settings;
- practical skills related to the use of geophysical ground-based survey equipment, as well as laboratory skills for the signal digital processing , remote-sensing by satellite techniques, and visualization and interpretation of the results;
- ability to plan geophysical surveys and design laboratory procedures for numerical data processing of the acquired seismic data;
- ability to select and use optimal methodologies from both a technical and economic point of view;
- oral and written knowledge of the English language, with particular regard to the specialized lexicon of the discipline.
- Applied Geophysics
- Complements of Electromagnetism and Optics
- Complements of Physics and Mathematics
- Exploration seismology and Introduction to well-logs
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The course is open to all students with a pertinent scientific bachelor's degree, or other equivalent or superior foreign academic qualification. Our records show that past students have come from a wide range of disciplines including Geology, Physics, Telecommunications, and/or Electronics Engineering, Civil and/or Environmental Engineering, Environmental Sciences, Mathematics. Admission to the Master’s Degree course is subject to passing a test by which we evaluate the candidate’s skills and motivations, and verify that the necessary requirements for the course are satisfied.
- A knowledge of the English language equivalent or superior to B2 level is desirable.
- Interview to assess the preparation of the candidate and his aptitude for developing studies in the field.
International356 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 356 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA356 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 356 EUR per year during 24 months.
- Fees depend on the student’s country of origin and vary from €356 to €2,556 for each academic year.
Living costs for Pisa
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.