The Department of Geography at Savitribai Phule Pune University has a long standing tradition of carrying out field work in geomorphology and other disciplines which is ably supported by laboratory testing and analysis.
Within each major specialization there are in-house technical facilities which include: Computer laboratory, geomorphology and soil laboratory, weather monitoring station, remote sensing laboratory and GIS facilities besides a cartographic resource library and other special features. This department is one of the few university departments in India which has a number of options for specialization, faculty with research experience and expertise in several applied fields of geography.
The Department provides a stimulating research / learning environment and the requisite research tools for training and research in every major branch of the subject. Besides superior teaching, the faculty is engaged in numerous research and consultancy projects, both individually and in collaboration with colleagues from interdisciplinary fields of the University of Pune and at various other institutes in India and overseas. The Department has over the years developed a suitable base for inter-disciplinary collaboration in the five key areas, namely Geomorphology, Climatology, Population and Settlements, and Economic Geography.
What you will learn
In the technical field, multivariate analysis, remote sensing, GIS and computer cartography have been introduced. The new areas have tremendous application and are emerging as powerful tools in spatial analysis and interpretation as well as map making. These are also the focus of the M.Sc. Geoinformatics course.
- Remote Sensing
- GIS and GPS
- Applied Statistics and Computing
- Database Management Systems: Concepts and Methods
- Concepts in Geography
- Cartography and Data Representation
- Digital Image Processing
- Geospatial analysis
- Advance Surveying and Field Work
- Open source GIS
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeography Informatics & Information Sciences Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 11 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in India
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Students having obtained B.Sc. degree in any subject viz., B.Sc., B. Agri. B.A. (in mathematics / statistics), B. E., B. Tech., B. Arch., B.A. (in Geography with mathematics /statistics as one of the subsidiary subjects), M.A. (in Geography), Bachelor’s degree in computer science /applications/ management (with minimum 50% marks in the qualifying examination) are eligible to apply to the M. Sc. Geoinformatics course.
- Admission is made through an entrance test, usually held in the month of June.
International297 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 297 USD per year during 24 months.
National297 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 297 USD per year during 24 months.
- University entrance fee (International): $1097
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.