Computational social science makes it possible for researchers to collect data from rapidly spreading new data sources such as online platforms, mobile devices, satellites and sensors, and to perform social science analyses with these new types of data. In addition to their direct contribution to social sciences, these new data types and resources are instrumental in the study of topics such as data privacy, artificial intelligence ethics and the spread of false information, thus creating new research areas. Moreover, computational and quantitative methods are increasingly applied in analyses of diverse local and global problems (such as the COVID-19 crisis) and their solution.
This two-year Computational Social Sciences graduate program will provide researchers with the skills to work with larger data sets than they encounter in traditional social science fields, to use state-of-the-art tools such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, text processing, network analysis, etc. and to apply the most up-to-date computational techniques.
- As an interdisciplinary program, CSS MA at Koc University aims to create a synergy by combining existing courses and research initiatives with lectures and research techniques on new methods. In this respect, social sciences and humanities courses will enable students to develop their computational and mathematical skills, while students with these skills will deepen their competencies in social science theory and examine social science research questions. The courses and applications aimed at improving the analytical skills of students in the field of social sciences in areas such as big data analysis, computer simulations, network analysis and machine learning constitute the basis of the program content.
- Designed in this way, the program aims to provide new and complementary dimensions to existing graduate programs and to create an important resource in a research area that is much more demanding than the existing human resources can meet.
- Computational Social Sciences
- Machine Learning
- Network Analysis
- Big Data Analysis
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology Data Science & Big Data View 11 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in Turkey
- Official Transcripts (Undergraduate graduation minimum 2.50 / 4.00 GPA)
- English Language Proficiency
- ALES (Academic Personnel and Postgraduate Education Entrance Exam) Equal Weighted or Verbal minimum 70 points
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination): Required from candidates who are not Turkish citizens. Numerical minimum of 153 points
- 2 reference letters
- Letter of Intent
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 24 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 24 months.
- If you are offered admission into the program you will also automatically receive a scholarship offer (full tuition waiver).
Living costs for Istanbul
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.