This Teaching (Secondary) and Religious Education course from the Australian Catholic University provides you with 60 days of valuable professional experience through a range of school and community-based placements. You will have the flexibility to study this course fully online or on campus. You can accelerate your studies if you wish to complete this course in 18 months.
A challenging and rewarding career in secondary education is a unique opportunity for you to inspire and positively influence the lives of all young people who enter your classroom.
Become the teacher who is confident, adaptable, and able to design and implement engaging and flexible learning experiences to meet the needs of your students. This is a graduate entry, preservice teacher education course for those who want to become secondary school teachers.
Students must complete a minimum of 60 days professional experience during which time they are required to be available full-time.
The Professional Experience program consists of a minimum of 10 weeks of teaching rounds, usually broken into three blocks.
Professional experience covers all school and community-based experience designed to help students develop professional competence and personal commitment, in accordance with the expressed Catholic philosophy of the University. The professional experience units apply skills, techniques and processes taught in the Foundations Studies and Professional Studies units.
Professional experience units are planned as a specific sequence allowing for progressive development of both classroom-based proficiency and an understanding of the relevance of theory to practice and practice to theory. The practicum will be supported by other forms of in-school experiences, such as school-based tutorials and workshops.
Certain prerequisite units are required before students are placed in schools.
Supervised professional experience is at the heart of all our pre-service teacher education courses and the Faculty will find appropriate placements to suit the needs of your course. Placements will usually be arranged for the scheduled placement period in the professional experience calendar though this may not always be possible.
Graduates are eligible for registration as secondary school teachers in government, independent, Catholic, and other faith-based schools.
The Graduate Certificate in Religious Education is the basic certification required to teach religious education in schools.
Our graduates have pursued careers in:
- Government, independent and Catholic Schools
- Government, private, and NFP organisations
- Education, training, and research
- Education consultancy
- Adult learning
- Community and advocacy agencies
- Youth agencies
- Foundations of Teaching: The Learners, their Development and Influences
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories, Cultures and Education
- Catering for Diversity in the Inclusive Classroom
- Critical Thinking, Literacy and Numeracy Across Secondary Curricula
- Teacher Enquiry and Information Technology
- Effective Teaching: Promoting Positive Behaviour
- 27 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
Domestic applicants: Brisbane - Apply through ACU
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies Teaching View 6 other Masters in Christian Studies in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- CRICOS Code: 096831M
- To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must:
- have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or equivalent qualification, with:
- a major study in one teaching area; and
- a separate minor study in a second teaching area, that may be separate from or related to the major study area;
- be able to select from teaching areas that are available within the course and meet the requirements of applicant's local state/territory registration authority; and
- the combination of teaching areas identified would usually prepare the applicant to teach across all year levels of secondary schooling.
- demonstrate suitability for teaching as evidenced by completion of an assessment available in the relevant State at the time of application
- No score less than 7 in reading and writing. No score less than 8 in listening and speaking.
International25443 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25443 AUD per year during 27 months.
National7640 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7640 AUD per year during 27 months.
- $7640 CSP
- In a CSP, the Australian Government subsidises the cost of your course. You’ll pay the remainder, known as the student contribution amount.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.