Deeply engaged in the Ignatian tradition, Spiritual Direction at the Australian Catholic University is the process and practice through which a skilled individual helps another to grow in intimacy with God. It is the practice of being with people as they attempt to deepen their relationship with the divine, or to learn and grow in their own personal spirituality.
Spiritual direction has a long and revered history in the Christian tradition and is understood as a ministry within the Church suitable for trained lay people, religious and ordained ministers.
You will develop advanced knowledge of the theological and scriptural foundations necessary for the ministry of spiritual direction in the Ignatian tradition. You'll explore the dynamics of Christian spirituality through reflection on your personal experience, and integration of this with insights from the relevant literature and your professional context.
What you'll study
Two pathways are available to complete the degree, which is comprised of specified units (80 credit points), and a further 80 credit points through either a praxis or theory pathway*.
*Students wishing to progress to the praxis stream will be required to attend an interview upon completion of the unit THSP507 Spiritual Exercises – Praxis B to determine suitability. Suitability will be assessed on the basis on academic performance, capacity for discernment, reflective practice and relevant experience. Students who do not meet this criteria can complete the award via the Theory Stream, or alternatively exit with the Graduate Diploma in Spiritual Direction.
This course is accredited by ACU and delivered by the Jesuit College of Spirituality (JCS).
- Interpreting Biblical Texts for Contemporary Times
- Spiritual Exercises - Theological Frameworks
- The Early Christian World
- Pastoral Psychology
- Spiritual Exercises
- Supervised Giving of the Spiritual Exercises
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesReligious Studies & Theology Christian Studies View 23 other Masters in Religious Studies & Theology in Australia
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An applicant must comply with the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy .
- To be eligible for admission to the course, an applicant must have completed a Bachelor degree in any discipline. Applicants also need to meet the English Language Proficiency requirements as defined in the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy .
- Applicants for the Master of Spiritual Direction course should carefully review the details outlined in Schedule 3 of the Admission to Coursework Programs Policy to check how they must demonstrate their English Language Proficiency.
International23400 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23400 AUD per year during 24 months.
National18672 AUD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18672 AUD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Melbourne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.