The Master of Science Degree Programme "Resource Efficiency in Architecture and Planning" (REAP) is an international and interdisciplinary programme at HafenCity University Hamburg (HCU). It aims to enable participants to promote sustainable architecture and urban development in different geographical and cultural settings. While its main emphasis lies on technology for the provision of sustainable urban and building services, the programme also conquers new areas by investigating the socio-economic context in which these services are provided and managed. This includes understanding and addressing barriers to implementation, e.g. through the development of ideas for different forms of legal and economic organisation of planning, construction and urban services.
The REAP Masters programme is an exciting opportunity for those who aspire to extend their knowledge and understanding of innovative technologies which can contribute to a more sustainable urban built environment. It targets persons from all over the world, with a wide range of academic backgrounds and work experience, sharing an interest in technology and society, and a concern for urban life, as well as for interdisciplinary approaches to problem-solving.
In detail, the programme:
- provides an overview of the complex relationships between building and urban services technology (i.e., building construction and renovation, energy and water supply, waste and wastewater management) and the environment (i.e., resources and space consumption, impacts on environmental media and ecosystems)
- gives insight into patterns of user demand and behaviour and how they affect the technology-environment interaction
- imparts knowledge of resource efficient technologies, e.g. energy generation from renewable sources, as well as underlying principles, such as source separation and the closing of material cycles, demand side management, decentralised, modularised service provision, etc.
- reviews experience with and conveys ideas for different forms of legal and economic organisation of planning, construction and urban services provision
- teaches study and research methods and techniques for planning and decision support
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Water, Material and Energy Cycles in the city
- Urban Noise
- Resource efficient urban technologies and infrastructure
- Economics and administration of buildings and urban services
- Legal and policy instruments
- Urban Planning on different scales
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLandscape Architecture Environmental Management View 19 other Masters in Environmental Management in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Bachelors degree or recognised equivalent from an accredited institution in Architecture, Urban Planning, Economics, Humanities or others with focus on REAP related fields
- Relevant work experience (this may have been gained prior to or while being enrolled at university)
- Demonstrated strong interest as well as personal aims and objectives for the study in the Master of Science REAP programme
- All applicants from countries in which the official language is not English are required to submit official evidence of English language proficiency
- Proof of a functional stay of minimum one year in an anglophone country
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
Each semester, HCU Students have to pay an enrolment fee. As of wintersemester, this fee will be approximatley 320 Euro per semester.
Living costs for Hamburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.