You could be interested in the continuous workings of colonisation, the making and remaking of subjectivities, the transformations related to people, idioms, popular culture, and objects circulating globally, the changing relations between people and their natural and built environment, their cultural and religious life, social movements, etc.
As an aspiring anthropologist you will do this by taking the perspective of the people involved, emphasising the daily experiences and practices of women, men, and children, related to the agency of the objects, plants and animals they are interacting with, enabled and restrained by institutions and traditions, governmentalities and political economies of varying glocal reach and potency.
Such a power-sensitive, agency-driven and collaborative approach is unpacked, reflected upon, designed and tested in a brand new anthropology programme at KU Leuven .
Career opportunities after the Master of Social and Cultural Anthropology at KU Leuven
Graduates of anthropology have developed the ability to familiarize with other’s perspectives, as well as the scientific rigor to translate their observations in realist representations to wider publics.
They are well-versed in independently setting up, executing and evaluating (research) projects and, educated in an international setting, they are skilled in communicating and reporting effectively in an intercultural environment. Their professionalized sensitivity to the complexity of issues of difference, spatiality, movement … makes them valued in numerous fields, both specialist and related:
- diversity officer
- cultural and political formation consultants
- cultural and educational consultancy
- policy advise and policy making
- academic and applied research
- youth work business and marketing
- management of socio-cultural organisations
- investigative / citizen journalism
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Culture, Intimacy and Relatedness
- Power, Politics and Cultures of Late Capitalism in Anthropological Perspectives Anthropology of Religion
- Culture, Migration and Mobility
- Posthuman Anthropology
- Race, Ethnicity and the Postcolonial Condition
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Anthropology View 14 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Belgium
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
inside the EEA
- Diploma(s) and transcripts of academic records: Scans of original transcripts and diplomas are required for all applicants. If you are still studying at the time of your application, you are requested to upload the provisional transcripts of your current studies to your application.
- Letter of Motivation
- Diploma’s and transcripts of academic records:
- Translation of diploma(s) and official transcripts: if the documents are not in English, French, Dutch or German, these documents should be translated by a registered translator.
- English proficiency certificate (or proof of registration for the test, if it has not yet been taken).
Proof of payment of application fee (bank transfer or credit card).
Copy of passport identity page (copy of national ID card suffices for EEA citizens).
- Letter of Motivation
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International947 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 947 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA947 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 947 EUR per year during 24 months.
Most recent information on www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees
Living costs for Leuven
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.