The erstwhile Autonomous Post-Graduate Centre of the University of Madras functioning in Coimbatore since 1973, was inducted with the Department of Economics during 1976-77. Subsequently, this formed one of the nine academic departments with which the Bharathiyar University came into existence in February 1982. Until the academic year 1988-89, the Department was offering research programmes leading to M.Phil and Ph.D. degrees. During the academic year 1988-89, the Department started offering a hybrid Postgraduate programme in Applied Economics. The Master of Business Economics (M.B.E) Programme is based on the Business Management Models practiced in developed economies was introduced during the academic year 1999-2000 in the place of M.A. Applied Economics. During the academic year 2001-2002 Choice Based Credit System was introduced to all the departments in the University.
- To equip the students on understanding of macroeconomic structure, recent trends in economics to develop a logical thinking.
- To understand the thrust areas of research in the field of Economics to enable the students to take up empirical and policy oriented research.
- To equip the students with managerial and entrepreneurial skills for self
- To prepare the students to have exposure on examinations for administrative positions and specialized research.
- To gain sound knowledge in basic Economic theories, concepts and models.
- To gain sound knowledge to apply economic theories and models to execute managerial functions.
- To enable students to obtain managerial problems solving skills.
On the successful completion of the Economics MA programme offered at Bharathiar University, the students will be able to:
- Understand the factors that affect firm‟s pricing decision
- Relates the basic economic theory and principles to current microeconomic issues and evaluate related public policy.
- Know how individuals and firms interact within markets, when markets fail, and how government policy may improve outcomes for society.
- Develop students‟ abilities to construct and sustain an argument using the phrases and concepts that economists use in their deliberations.
- Micro Economic Analysis
- Mathematics for Economists
- Economics of Human Resource
- Marketing Management
- Research Methodology
- Economics of Farm Business
- Public Economics
- Monetary Theory and Policies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A pass in Bachelor Degree with Economics / Econometrics / Statistics / Mathematics / Business Economics / Commerce / Management as one of the papers.
- The candidates have to pay the Registration Fee of Rs.400/- through net banking / Debit / Credit Cards/DD/NEFT. SC/ST candidates have to pay only Rs.200/- provided they have to produce a photo copy of his/her community certificate. The online filled in application form shall be completed in all respects and the soft copy can be downloaded. Those who are making online payment need not send the hard copy of the application.
- The application may be filled online at https://admissions.b-u.ac.in the guidelines for filling up the online application is available at www.b-u.ac.in
International375 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 750 USD for the full programme during 24 months.
- National tuition fee: INR2,640/semester ($35)
Living costs for Coimbatore
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.