The master’s degree in Middle Eastern Studies can help turn you into an authority on what has been for many years - and will continue to be for the foreseeable future - a region of constant political, ethnic and religious upheaval.
Learning from renowned, internationally respected academics, you will delve into a wide range of relevant and contemporary topics. These can include the history, cultures and languages of Turkey, Persia and Israel, about Islam and all things Arabic, as well as international relations and the political economy of the Middle East.
Some of the many good reasons to choose this programme
- This is a highly flexible programme that allows you to focus on your own specific area of interest.
- Leiden University has one of the largest Middle Eastern Studies research and teaching faculties in Europe.
- The work of our teaching faculty and researchers is widely respected all over the world.
- Thanks to our partnership network we can offer you the opportunity to study at a university in the Middle East and immerse yourself in your chosen language and culture.
- Check the entry requirements
More informationVisit official programme website
- From 2019-2020 onwards you start with a common core course of 10 EC, Theories and Methods in Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies in your first semester.
- Besides this course, you can choose courses in historic and contemporary manifestations of cultures, languages, literatures and religions, either directed at the Middle East in general, or at one of the regions of the Middle East in depth, namely the Arab world, the Ottoman and Turkish world, the Persianate world, and Israeli society from the period of political Zionism to the present day. In line with one of these courses you will write a thesis.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
- Deadline passed, EEA/EU
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies International Relations Islamic Studies View 4 other Masters in Islamic Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A copy of a valid passport or ID card
- A copy of a Dutch residence permit (if applicable)
- CV (résumé)
- Language proficiency (if applicable)
- Copies of diplomas and transcripts
International18300 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 18300 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA2143 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 2143 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.