The master's Geography - Global Change and Sustainability programme at the University of Vienna deals with a national and international perspective on current theory-based geographical research on the causes and consequences of global change, social and environmental challenges in the context of sustainability and relevant application practices. A balance is pursued between thematic specialisation and embedding in the larger, holistic context of "Global Change and Sustainability".
Graduates acquire comprehensive skills from relevant areas (specialisations: Migration and Population Dynamics, Socio-Economic Transformations, Earth Surface Dynamics and Management, Geoecology). Scientific work as well as methodological and technical skills are conveyed through the combination of cross-specialization work and analysis techniques. These reflect the geography with its scale-dependent, spatio-temporal explicit approaches to the dynamics of global change and sustainability.
- The complexity of the spatiotemporal consideration of global change, sustainability and transformation in geography is also reflected in the range of professional activities of the graduates, from research and development as well as administration and public service (both international, national as well as regional and local ) ranges from international development work, protected area management and NGOs with sustainability agendas to engineering and planning offices, private-sector site assessments and process modeling. Accordingly, in the courses within the framework of the specialization modules, there is an additional, individually configurable focus on applied and research-led approaches.
- Compulsory module group Global Change and Sustainability
- Preparation Module
- Compulsory module group Specialisations
- Open Mind Modules
- Mobility Module
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , International
Deadlines for EU/EEA students:
- Winter - 30 November
- Summer - 30 April
DisciplinesGeography Sustainable Development View 4 other Masters in Geography in Austria
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- List of degree programmes
- Admission with a degree from the University of Vienna
- Admission with a degree from another university
- Degree programmes with an entrance exam procedure
- Visiting Master
International1454 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 727 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per semester during 24 months.
- As an EU/EEA/CH citizen you only have to pay the Students' Union fee (20.20 Euro).
- Non-EU/EEA students pay the fee plus the Students' Union fee of 20.20 Euro
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.