In this specialisation, you study relevant infectious and tropical diseases, gaining practical insights into the interaction between the ecology and the disease.
The focus of this Biomedical Sciences. Specializations: Infectious and Tropical Diseases programme at University of Antwerp is on research.
You will spend half of your study time on practical research while doing internships and on writing a dissertation. Collaboration between the Institute for Tropical Medicine and the university laboratories provides you with the unique opportunity to participate in high-level research on HIV, malaria and other infectious and imported diseases.
In addition, you are offered the opportunity to study abroad for part of the programme.
Graduates often go on to work as researchers at the Institute for Tropical Medicine, or in pharmaceutical or biotech companies and university labs where tropical diseases and imported diseases in general are studied.
- The master can independently analyse, describe and evaluate a biomedical problem and formulate research strategies.
- The master can independently formulate hypotheses from ‘state of the art’ literature and can independently interpret experimental data correctly in the context of that hypothesis.
- The master can execute specialized research techniques under supervision, and interpret and report the results.
- The master can draw the correct conclusions from personal experimental findings and redirect his research plan accordingly.
- The master can function autonomously in a research team, in multidisciplinary as well as in international research networks.
- The master can independently and accurately plan and execute experiments, collect scientific data and statistically correctly analyse and evaluate these and report on them.
Graduates often go on to work as researchers at the Institute for Tropical Medicine, or in pharmaceutical companies and university labs where tropical diseases and imported diseases in general are studied.
They may also continue to work on a PhD thesis, after which they can go to work for pharmaceutical and biotech companies as researchers or research leaders.
All study programmes at the University of Antwerp received accredidation from NVAO (Dutch-Flemish Accreditation Organisation).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses Included:
- Human parasites, micro-organisms and zoonoses
- Immunology of tropical infectious diseases
- Ecology, epidemiology and control of infectious diseases
- Pathogenesis and clinical aspects of tropical infectious diseases
- Health economics and mathematical models of infectious diseases
- Molecular epidemiology of infectious diseases
- Molecular microbiology of infectious diseases
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesBiomedicine Public Health Bioinformatics View 9 other Masters in Bioinformatics in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Direct access: Bachelor of Science (academic degree, minimum 180 ECTS) in:
- Biomedical Sciences
- Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Veterinary Medicine
International5800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 5800 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA947 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 947 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.