The Journalism and Media Studies programme of Rhodes University avoids an approach that focuses on themes related to the media in favour of one that is conceptually based and that provides a sophisticated theoretical understanding of the interrelationships between media and society.
Students at Journalism and Media Studies programme of Rhodes University will:
- gain a broad understanding of the field
- graduate with a broad view of the different components that constitute the field.
- Critical social theory
- Critical media studies
- Critical research methods
- Digital inequalities in Africa
- Economics journalism
- Navigating the post-truth world, mapping propaganda, lies, and conspiracy theories and making sense of evidence in the digital era
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesJournalism Media Studies & Mass Media Public Relations View 6 other Masters in Journalism in South Africa
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Certified copy of both your degree certificate and full transcript from your previous or current university in your submission
- Letter of motivation (600-800 words)
- Up to date resume (or CV) with at least two referees and their current addresses;
- Sample of writing (academic/essay type); and
- Completed application form which can be found on the postgraduate gateway (Honours, PGDips, MA, PhD)
International1694 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1694 EUR per year during 24 months.
National350 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 350 EUR per year during 24 months.
- National: R5 890
- International: R28 450
Living costs for Grahamstown
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.