In Göttingen, we place special emphasis on the interdisciplinary nature of Data Science. We want to equip you with both in-depth knowledge of the key mathematical, statistical and computer science methods for Data Science as well as make sure you understand how to apply these methods in an application domain. You can choose between Computational Neuroscience, Bioinformatics, Medical Data Science and Digital Humanities, and we are working on expanding the list of possible application domains.
Moreover, we want to teach you how to communicate your insights and reflect on the ethical impacts of collecting and analysing large amounts of data as well as the consequences of automated data-driven decision-making. The master’s program in Applied Data Science at the University of Göttingen is research-oriented and should enable you to carry out scientific research projects autonomously. Beyond research, we also provide the opportunity for internships and interactions with industry partners.
Career ProspectsData scientists are currently in high demand in almost all disciplines, both in research and industry. Possible employers can be found throughout all sectors, including the manufacturing industry, banks, insurance companies, the IT sector, consulting, public or industrial research institutes, the public health sector as well as colleges and universities. Excellent graduation also qualifies for PhD programmes.
- The core curriculum covers important Data Science methods from Computer Science, Mathematics, and Statistics including Data Science infrastructures, statistical modelling, machine learning and several advanced topics as well as ethical aspects of Data Science. You acquire deeper knowledge of Data Science methods in order to develop the professional skills to apply and extend specialised methods of the discipline.
- In this part of the programme, you get the opportunity to study tailored to your individual and professional inclinations, as well as your professional ambitions. You will choose one application domain such as Computational Neuroscience, Bioinformatics, Medical Data Science and Digital Humanities (more to come in the near future).
- After successfully completing 90 ECTS in the first two areas of study, you write a master’s thesis in order to complete the master's degree.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Technology Computer Sciences Data Science & Big Data View 59 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in Germany
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- A bachelor’s degree with at least 180 ECTS is needed. If the degree has not yet been awarded, a minimum of 150 ECTS is required for application.
- At least 60 ECTS have to be successfully completed in basic data science methods (Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics). This requirement should normally be fulfilled by a bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or a closely related degree program. If you have covered less than 60 ECTS in Data Science methods, you can compensate up to 15 ECTS through additional courses within your master's program.
- Legally binding are the admission requirements described in "Ordnung über die Zugangsvoraussetzungen und über die Zulassung".
International1562 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 781 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA1562 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 781 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Göttingen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.