Why choose this course
Structural engineers create the ‘bones and muscles’ of human-made structures.
You’ll be taught by forward-thinking academics at the top of their field, as well as practising engineers from consultancies and local authorities. You will also benefit from the exceptional facilities that Surrey has to offer.
This course is offered as standard full-time study, but there are also part-time and distance learning options available.
What you will study
The well-established and fully-accredited MSc in Structural Engineering at the University of Surrey will enable you to develop advanced capabilities in analysis and codified design in the specialised areas of structural engineering. As a student on this course, you’ll have the opportunity to build on the knowledge and skills you’ve acquired from your undergraduate studies.
If you are a practising engineer engaged in the planning, design and construction of structural engineering works, this course will provide you with an opportunity to update your knowledge of current design practice and become familiar with new developments in codes and methods of analysis.
Accredited by CIHT as meeting the requirements for Further Learning for a Chartered Engineer under the provisions of UK-SPEC for candidates that have already acquired a CEng accredited BEng(Hons) undergraduate first degree.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Bridge management
- Prestressed concrete bridge design
- Steel and composite bridge design
- Durability of bridges and structures
- Environmental health
- Water treatment
- Wastewater treatment and sewerage
- Pollution control and waste management
- 12 months
- 60 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction View 289 other Masters in Civil Engineering & Construction in United Kingdom
- A minimum of 60 per cent in a UK honours degree in civil engineering accredited to CEng, with a minimum of 60 per cent in Structures and Codified Design subjects.
- Alternatively, a minimum of 70 per cent in a UK honours degree in civil engineering accredited to IEng plus approval from the relevant institution. We'll also accept a recognised equivalent international qualification.
- At least five years of relevant industrial experience (preferably codified design) or a professional qualification (for example, CEng) will also be considered if you don’t meet these requirements.
International21700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21700 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10600 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10600 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time and distance-learning per 15 credits:
- UK/EU fees £1,200
- Overseas fees £2,400
Living costs for Guildford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.