The engineering master's in data science offers a course in scientific methods and technology tools for answering social or scientific questions based on the processing of frequently massive data sets ("big data"). This discipline usually requires a structured model of the problem in question to be combined with statistics and mathematics to deliver a rigorous, quantitative, operational solution to the question posed. Computer infrastructure and complex calculation algorithms thus complement scientific methods in structuring and processing the data. The Master in Data Science Engineering is offered at Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL).
The fields of application of data science are extremely varied: political and security decision-making, real-time online advertising, e-commerce, processing network data, processing financial and industrial production data, biomedical research based on omics or imaging data.
Your future job
Your degree in data science prepares you for the posts of data scientist, data analyst, data and analytics manager or data engineer and equips you to take on responsibilities in these areas.
The data science programme draws on four common foundations:
- Data structures and data processing algorithms.
- Theories of learning, data mining and viewing multidimensional data.
- Statistical inference and modelling.
- Databases Siegfried
- Algorithms in data science
- Information visualisation
- Machine Learning :classification and evaluation
- Machine learning : regression, deep networks and dimensionality reduction
- Data mining & decision making
- Mining Patterns in Data
- Artificial intelligence
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesData Science & Big Data Software Engineering View 9 other Masters in Data Science & Big Data in Belgium
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- 1. an undergraduate (first-cycle) degree in the same field of study;
- 2. the same Master’s (second-cycle) degree, but with a different specialization (focus);
- 3. a long-cycle undergraduate or Master’s degree, in accordance with a decision by the academic authorities and subject to the additional requirements that they lay down;
- 4. a degree comparable to those mentioned above, awarded by a higher education institution, within or outside the French Community of Belgium, in accordance with a decision by the academic authorities and subject to the additional requirements that they lay down;
- 5. a short-cycle undergraduate degree, in accordance with a decision by the Government or the academic authorities
- 6. a degree obtained abroad and deemed equivalent to those mentioned above, in accordance with this Decree, a European directive, an international convention or other legislation, subject to the same requirements.
International4175 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4175 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA835 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 835 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Louvain-la-Neuve
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.