The Music, Organ with Related Keyboard Instruments programme of the University of Gothenburg focuses on the organ as an instrument for solo repertoire, improvisation, and ensemble music. You will study at the Academy of Music and Drama, a unique environment with committed and competent teachers and students. Here, you will have exceptional instruments at your disposal. In addition, you will have access to the University of Gothenburg's own baroque organ in Örgryte New Church as well as other interesting organs in the Gothenburg area.
Develop your own artistic idea
Our programme offers a unique feature: as part of your application, you will present an idea that will be the basis for your master's project. This idea will be a thread through your studies, integrated with repertoire playing, organ improvisation, and studies related to keyboard instruments including the clavichord, harpsichord, fortepiano, and French harmonium. You choose what you want to immerse yourself in, based on your prior knowledge, specialization, and artistic goals.
We have strong connections to ongoing research, and if you seek further studies, our programme qualifies you to apply for doctoral programmes. Each year the programme participates in the International Organ Academy, where leading musicians and researchers from around the world gather. You will participate in individual lessons in organ interpretation and improvisation and related keyboard instruments as well as group lessons. Our master seminars focus on teaching the organ as a mirror of time. Furthermore, there are courses supporting research strategies and academic writing, where you will develop the ability to create and execute your own ideas with your own personal expression and to identify, formulate, and solve artistic and creative problems.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Organ Interpretation and Improvisation
- Independent Project
- Related Keyboard Instruments
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor degree of arts in music or equivalent, and musical knowledge and skills that are assessed at the admission test and are the basis for selection.
- Submit your portfolio through SlideRoom
- Video 1: A mandatory organ audition with 20 minutes of music chosen by you. You can show skills in interpretation or improvisation or both.
- Video 2: A compulsory piece: Johann Sebastian Bach's Nun komm der Heiden Heiland (BWV 659). You are expected to acquire the sheet music for the compulsory piece yourself.
- Video 3: A voluntary audition where you have the opportunity to show your skills in one of the following instruments: harpsichord, forte piano, harmonium, clavichord or piano. You have 10 minutes at your disposal.
International23581 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 47163 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Full education cost: 478,000 SEK
- No fees are charged for EU and EEA citizens, Swedish residence permit holders and exchange students.
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.