In this Master’s in Economic Development and Growth at Lund University double degree programme you spend the first year studying development and international economics, statistics and long run development at either Universidad Carlos III de Madrid or University of Groningen. Conditional on successful completion of the first year, you spend the second year at Lund University specialising in development and growth, related to issues such as comprehensiveness and equality, sustainability and energy, innovation and human capital.
Universidad Carlos III de Madrid combines high-level economics, economic history and economic development and has a special focus on Latin America.
University of Groningen is a top-class institution at international level in the field of economics, econometrics, development economics and economic history and hosts the Groningen Growth and Development Centre, a research institute that is famous for its study on long-term economic growth and productivity analysis worldwide.
Lund University is specialized in economic growth and development in the long run with focus on Asia, Africa and Latin America besides Europe. This mix could hardly be achieved by one single higher education institution in Europe. Ultimately, the programme philosophy is based on critical thinking, and the multitude of experiences among students and teachers will offer a platform for reflection and communication in this vein.
Your future career
This programme provide you with plenty of career opportunities in institutions all over the world addressing economic development, such as the EU, OECD, ILO, World Bank, UNESCO, WTO, CEPAL, IADB (Inter-American Development Bank), NGOs, governments and central banks, think tanks, multinational companies and consulting firms.
You will also obtain the advanced skills required to carry out research in the fields of development economics, economic history, applied economics and international economics. Lund University School of Economics and Management, University of Groningen and Universidad Carlos III Madrid, offer talented students oriented towards an academic career, the possibility to continue your postgraduate education in one of our PhD programmes.
- The Global Economy and Long-Term Economic Growth
- Advanced Public Economics
- Economics of Innovation
- Advanced analysis of economic change
- Innovation, Energy and Sustainability
- Institutions, Economic Growth and Equity
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics Sustainable Development View 30 other Masters in Economics in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Lund University and/or in Sweden, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- An undergraduate degree (BA/BSc) or the equivalent with a major in economics. A solid background of mathematics, statistics and econometrics is required. In particular cases, the selection committee can admit students with a Bachelor’s degree in other disciplines which include a comprehensive and advanced training in economics, mathematics and quantitative methods.
- If your native language is not English, but you hold a first degree from universities based in an English-speaking country, you don’t need to provide any certificate of language proficiency. The same applies if you have obtained your degree from universities in non-English speaking countries but with courses taught in English, in which case you must enclose an official document issued by your university that certifies that English is the medium of instruction.
International11700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11700 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA7800 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7800 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Lund
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.