The Physics Course at University of Catania consists of lectures, tutorials and practical laboratory work. The preparation of the thesis is a fundamental moment of the Master of Science in Physics, in which the student, through the guidance of one or more teachers, deepens in an original manner a topic of particular interest and relevance to physics or its applications.
The preparation of the thesis may include a period in enterprises or external companies, University's research groups and laboratories or research institutions, in Italy or abroad. For the crucial role played by thesis in the maturation of knowledge and skills training, a large number of credits is reserved (40 credits) at the final test.
Educational objectives of the programme include:
- the development of autonomous study and learning skills and the ability to integrate knowledge;
- the application of understanding and problem-solving skills to new or unfamiliar issues, inserted in broader research- or work-related contexts;
- the development and practice of the ability to communicate, in a clear and unambiguous way, the knowledge and results achieved;
- solid foundations for continuing one's studies in research doctorates or second-level masters or specialization schools.
- The course includes five curricula (Astrophysics, Applied Physics, Condensed Matter Physics, Nuclear and Sub-Nuclear Physics, Theoretical Physics), based on the scientific expertise of the members of the Physics and Astronomy Department, who work always in collaboration and in perfect synergy with the several research institutions based in the Catania area (INFN, LNS, INAF, CNR). This allows a deep thematic study on the latest developments of contemporary physics.
- The master degree requires that students acquire in-depth, knowledge and methodologies related to one or more specific areas of physics together with autonomy of study, through extensive work on the final exam preparation.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- enhance international activities communication through a more attractive web site and the creation of university of Catania profile in the most important social networks;
- increase the educational offer in English language, thanks to the activation of new courses and the creation of “course packages”, useful for incoming students in the creation of their learning agreements;
- reinforce English language courses in all degree courses in order to boost students’ linguistic competencies and let them be more competitive within the international job market;
- enlarge the number of agreements with European countries and in particular with France, United Kingdom, Germany and North European countries;
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.