At a Glance
Based in the School of Divinity, History and Philosophy, our research programmes in Philosophy are distinguished for research on history of philosophy, the philosophy of science (especially philosophy of biology), the history of ethics and political philosophy, and key areas of analytic philosophy: epistemology, metaphysics, and philosophy of language.
Recent graduates of the Philosophy programme of the University of Aberdeen have gone on to enjoy successful careers, academic and otherwise. Some graduates hold full-time academic positions, while other Masters-level graduates have successfully taken up PhD study at Aberdeen or elsewhere. In general, careers that demand and reward analytical abilities and the capacity for clear expression of ideas will suit the accomplished Philosophy postgraduate well. Academic positions by no means exhaust such job prospects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- History of analytic philosophy
- Ethics, philosophy of medicine and interdisciplinary projects in philosophy and public health
- Philosophy of language
- Epistemology, philosophy of mind and philosophical methodology
- History of ethics and the Western tradition of political philosophy
- History of Philosophy
- Epistemology broadly construed
- Philosophy of biology
- Metaphysics of time
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Liberal Arts View 202 other Masters in Liberal Arts in United Kingdom
- An undergraduate degree with Second Class Honours (Upper Division) in an appropriate field, or equivalent. It is preferable that you hold a Masters’ degree in the chosen area of study as well
- Copies of your undergraduate and graduate degree certificates
- Academic transcripts for your undergraduate and graduate degrees.
- Two academic references; either the details of your referees provided on your application form or uploaded online with your application.
- Your research proposal
- If English is not your first language and you have not studied previously at an institution in the UK, you will need to demonstrate your proficiency in English by taking an IELTS, TOEFL or PTE academic test.
International17000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 12 months.
- RUK students fee - £4,500 per year
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.