The Primary Education (5 - 11 years) programme from University of Birmingham will include key elements delivered by staff from the University of Birmingham in Dubai supported by senior teachers in schools. It is designed to help you plan, teach and develop your classroom skills within the primary age range. Time within our teacher training programme will be spent developing necessary subject knowledge in English, Mathematics and Science alongside consideration of whole school issues such as Managing Behaviour.
School-based experiences are a central part of the primary education teacher training programme which also features a range of professional courses to help you plan, teach, and develop your classroom skills. The high quality personalised support will ensure that the majority of students exceed the teachers' standards at an outstanding level (Ofsted report 2013).
Your University of Birmingham qualification is evidence of your ability to succeed in a demanding academic environment. Employers target Birmingham students for their drive, diversity, communication and problem-solving skills, their team-working abilities and cultural awareness, and our graduate employment statistics have continued to climb at a rate well above national trends.
Following successful completion of the PGCE year, students have the option to study the Postgraduate Diploma in Teaching Studies. An MA in Teaching Studies can then be undertaken with includes an additional dissertation. The School also plans to offer postgraduates continuing professional development (CPD) courses for teachers and allied professionals in the near future.
- The Primary English component will form an essential part of your work on the PGCE in Primary Education course.
- It has been designed to develop your skills in the planning, teaching and assessment of Primary English, including speaking, listening, reading and writing. Your teacher training will include taught sessions at university, directed tasks in school, group tasks, directed self-study and independent study and research.
- These elements of your teacher training are linked, to ensure coherence and the integration of policy, practice and theory.
- Strong subject knowledge is a vital element of being an outstanding teacher. The course is designed to help you develop English subject knowledge in your own context, build confidence with subject specific terminology, and develop your understanding of the nature of pupils progression in Primary English.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesPrimary Education View 32 other Masters in Primary Education in United Kingdom
To be considered by the University of Birmingham you will need to meet our general entry requirements.
All applicants must have:
- A degree (equivalent to a UK Bachelors Degree of at least 2:2 or above) or a recognised equivalent qualification and this will be a condition of any offer where the degree has not already been awarded.
- Proof of sufficient English and Mathematics from your high school leavers certificate (This should be the equivalent of a C grade at GCSE level, please allow us to help you clarify your equivalent grade).
International14442 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14442 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National14442 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14442 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.